The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Of Scents In The Garden

Imagine this: you have a small, yellow fruit in your hand. It's a little bigger than an egg, oval in shape. You can feel the texture of the skin, yes it's a lemon. Get the cutting board and a knife out, place the small yellow fruit on it. Slice it. You can see the juice oozing as you cut, the smell of it reaches your nose, the juice is on your hands, now pick up a slice and bite it... is your mouth watering yet? :) For most people, thinking of slicing a lemon makes the mouth water. The sense of smell is a powerful one, and the memory of smells lingers in our brain long after we've stopped smelling them.

How something so small can smell so strong baffles me. It's a Night Scented Jasmine, and though the flowers are a little bigger than the head of a glass pin, in clusters, the smell up close can be overpowering. I'm not sure how to describe it, it's neither flowery, nor spicey, nor fruity... and it doesn't smell anything like jasmine, at least the jasmine I used to grow.

Imaginad esto: tienes una fruta amarilla y pequeña en la mano. Es un poco más grande que un huevo, de forma oval. Notad la textura de la piel, es un poco rugosa. Sí, es un limón. Sacad la tabla de cortar y un cuchillo. Ahora, poned la fruta en la tabla y empezad a cortar rodajas. Veis como empieza a salir el jugo de color casi transparente según estaís cortando. El olor os llega a la nariz, el jugo os mancha las manos, coged una rodaja y mordedla.... y ahora, se os está haciendo la boca agua? :) De hecho, el pensar en cortar o morder un limón hace que salivemos la mayoría. El sentido del olfato es muy poderoso, y la memoria olfativa nos dura en el cerebro mucho tiempo después de haber olido algo en particular.

Y como algo tan pequeño puede oler tan fuerte me tiene alucinada. Es un Galán de Noche y aunque las flores son del tamaño de una cabeza de alfiler de cristal, el olor de cerca es excesivo. No sé como describirlo, no huele a especias, ni a fruta, ni a flor... y no se parece en nada al olor del jazmín al que estaba acostumbrada.

I am not sure whether I like it or not, but it produces a strong emotional reaction when I smell it. It reminds me of some other smell I have sniffed before, but the more I try to remember, the less I can figure out what it is. Some people describe it as heavenly, others hate it. I'm not on either side of the fence. So I sit outside at night, now that it is blooming, sniffing the air and trying to put a name to the scent. It's one of those scents you can smell in your mind's eye when you get away from it.

No se si me gusta o no, pero me provoca una sensación rara olerlo. Me recuerda a algún otro olor que he olido, pero cuanto más intento recordar, menos me aclaro. Hay gente que dice que huele divino, otros odian la fragancia. Yo no se. Asi que los días que lleva floreciendo, me siento por la noche cerca, intentando poner un nombre y un recuerdo a la fragancia. Es uno de esos olores que se te quedan en la memoria olfativa cuando no lo estás oliendo.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger mitas said...

Mientras iba leyendo iba salivando jajaja, no recuerdo el olor del galán de noche, tendré que plantar otra vez para recordarlo y saber si me gusta o no :-)

1:06 AM  
Blogger TiempoSoria said...

Jajajaj..... a mi no me pasa tanto con los limones. Pero con el membrillo........
En alemán se llama Nachtjasmin
(cestrum nocturnum)

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home